- Reach out to teachers you may know in local elementary, middle or high schools to see if their class/school has capacity to facilitate one-on-one or small group tutoring via skype, zoom, duo or other communication tool.
- Organize with a local Humane Society or Shelter and host a social media campaign for pet food collection, and days to drop off.
- Create a Senior Memory site with a local retirement facility - set up an online site and each day ask a question. Staff can share the link and have community members respond with their memories of that time, or event in history.
- Use social media to organize an advocacy, education or awareness campaign (for example the importance of completing the Census, saving water, or ending Human Trafficking). Look up and share facts, links of agencies addressing the issue, and how to get involved.
- Develop an online book club for teens in your neighborhood - be sure to pick an appropriate reading and topic level (call your local library for help).
- Check in with local non-profits to see if they could use your help to create a database, a newsletter, set up an online discussion site, or help in transcribing documents.
- Make cards for individuals in local women's shelter's, children's hospitals, senior facilities etc, mail them in one large envelope for the agency to disperse.
Virtual Service is real service -- and real community service. It requires real time and a real commitment and has real deadlines. That commitment might be short -- and you may be able to do the service at any time or on any day you choose -- at 3 a.m. or noon, but the commitment, even if the task is small, it is real, and if you don't complete an assignment you have signed up for, you hurt the organization you are trying to help.
In order to record these hours, be sure to write it up, include a site contact name, email or phone number, and submit to the Community Engagement Center at: email@example.com.
Please reach out to the Community Engagement Center staff (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have questions or comments, stay well and THANK YOU!!!