What are Projects with Purpose?
develop skills through practical experience
explore the world of work
build their professional network.
What differentiates Projects with Purpose Opportunities?
Focus on helping non-profits, community agencies, and local businesses overcome economic challenges, especially those created by the current health crisis.
Utilize UC Merced education and skills to make a positive economic impact within the greater Merced community and the Central Valley region.
Develop an appreciation of the importance of civic engagement and the impact of service.
See below for some examples of internships and more instructions to apply!
Love, Faith, and Hope
- UC Merced students selected will recieve $1,000 stipend at the completion of the project.
- You will be trained to be a leader in the community, carrying out facilitations and community conversations around racial awareness culture.
- Work closely with selected co-work partners Restorative Justice League Liasion and the Community Service Engagement Manager.
Visit https://ucmerced.joinhandshake.com/jobs/4130158 for more information!
Restorative Justice League
- Students will learn how to provide advocacy, leadership, and staff support to mentor the success of their peers.
- Students selected will conduct academic tutoring / zoom meetings with K-12 students on a one-on-one and group basis.
- Offer peer-to-peer opportunities to provide conflict resolution with the students and all parties involved.
- Will be trained to conduct peace circles with the community and students, address issues in the community and come up with solutions.
Visit https://ucmerced.joinhandshake.com/jobs/4131801 for more information!
Love, Faith, and Hope / Restorative Justice League Partnership
- Promote, connect, coordinate, and engage the African-American / Minority Commnity and underserved neighborhoods.
- Groups will include sharing information and hosting discussion groups on African-American and Minority Health and Education Disparities and Youth Pathways to Civic Engagement,
- Co-facilitate youth and parent inclusion activities
- Educate, outreach, and empower
- Engage in capacity building activities
- Advocate with trained parent leaders and high school students.
Visit https://ucmerced.joinhandshake.com/jobs/4131914 for more information!
How do I find a Project?
STEP 1: Search on Handshake
Use the key words: Projects with Purpose.
STEP 2: Apply
Submit your resume on Handshake to projects of interest.
STEP 3: Participate in Selection Process
What do I need to do for the Project?
Prior to the Start of the Project
Complete a Learning Outcomes Survey
Email the Center for Career and Professional Advancement and the Community Engagement Center that you have accepted a Project with your anticipated start and end date.
During the Project
- Communicate regularly with the project host and with CCPA or CEC
- Successfully complete the project as requested by the host
Upon Project Completion
- Make a formal presentation of your project to the project host
- Submit a reflection paper to CCPA and CEC within one week of project completion
Do I Get Paid?
A project provides students with the opportunity to apply classroom learning to real-world experiences. Upon completion of the project, the student will receive $1,000 awarded through the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships as a student stipend and will be added to your financial aid awards.
What can I expect from the Project organizer?
Project hosts are asked to provide the student with:
- clear expectations of the project
- regular communication, especially to answer questions
- an opportunity for the student to formally deliver the project upon completion
What if I have questions about Projects with Purpose opportunities?
Project Opportunities with Non-profits and Community Agencies
Contact Ruben Reyes – Office of Leadership, Service and Career
Project Opportunities with Business and Government Entities
Contact Juan Morales – Employer Relations and Internships Coordinator
Not Sure or Have A General Question
For more information visit the home webpage of Center for Career & Professional Advancement (CCPA): hire.ucmerced.edu
Fall 2020 Learning Outcomes Survey
Bobcats Helping Bobcats Resume Review Program